Skip to main content

May I apply for a US Passport?

Overland Park, KS |

I had oath ceremony. I received the certificate of naturalization. Unfortunately, I checked it next day that my marital status was written as single Instead of married. I had to apply for N565. I have 1 Question. May I apply for US Passport, eventhough the certificate of naturalization certificate is incorrect?

+ Read More

Filed under: Immigration
Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

If it is merely a typo made by USCIS, you should still be able to qualify for a passport - you became a citizen the moment you were sworn in. The certificate is merely one form of proof of citizenship. A U.S. passport is another form of proof. I would take a copy of your certificate that has the typographical error, a copy of your N565 and a copy of the receipt notice for the N565 with me to the passport office when you apply. You should not have any problems. Best of luck to you and congratulations on your citizenship.


Yes. You are a US citizen now. It is your absolute right.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.



(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer