Skip to main content

Marrying disabled USC

Madison, WI |

I am writing this question for my friend she doesn't speak English well, she just got married to a USC, he is deaf, she is not, and she barely knows the sign language , she is illegal now but came here on visa , she wants to hire an immigration lawyer to adjust her status , she is a little worried that they might give them a hard time because he is deaf , is this going to be a long process for her ?they love each other so much and willing to do anything for each other. and do they provide an interpreter at the interview ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

USCIS should not give your friend's husband a hard time. The officers are prohibited from discrimination on the basis of one's disability. I agree with my colleague's time estimate, and yes, he would need to provide his own interpreter.

Jamahl C. Kersey (619) 399-3662 is a Criminal Defense and Immigration attorney licensed in CA. The answer above is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Jamahl C. Kersey The Law Office of Jamahl C. Kersey, Esq. 5703 Oberlin Drive Suite 201 San Diego, CA 92121 Tel: 619.399.3662 Fax: 888.765.5894


The process takes about five to six months. The couple will have to take their own interpreter.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.


They should meet with an immigration lawyer. They can get their questions answered when the meet with the attorney.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


They would not give them a hard time because he was deaf. Make sure she works with an attorney. My firm handles immigration matters and has successfully represented many disabled clients.
Nicklaus Misiti
Law Offices of Nicklaus Misiti
212 537 4407

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.