Married to US citizen, I'm a DACA holder now. He wil be requesting me soon. Do I need to apply for Adjustment status?

Blue Springs, MO |

I entered the US without inspection, was granted DACA I have ss and employment authorization card. Don't wanna leave the country due that we have mortgage and son together. Do I need to fill out I-130 and I-485 and also I-601A now that it has passed? or just I-130 and I-601A and then I-485?

Best Answer

DACA doesn't give you the ability to adjust status ... you MUST leave the US to get your visa. But, with an attorney, you can minimize the amount of time you are out.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

So I have to apply for a visa first and if I fill out I-601A I will have to leave for a short period of time?

Thanks for your time!!

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

No, you don't apply for the visa first. 1. I-130 filed by USC (this is called a petition) 2. Deal with NVC to coordinate the DS-230 visa application with the waiver 3. File the waiver 4. Go to the US Consul for the visa Need I state the obvious? ..... that you should hire an attorney.

You will not eligible to seek adjustment of status.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

So I have to apply for a visa first and if I fill out I-601A I will have to leave for a short period of time? Thanks for your time!!

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

Yes. SO they say.

I agree that DACA does not prove an immigration status so you cannot adjust in the U.S. But, if you, a family member or an employer filed an I-130, I-140, I-526 or labor certification on or before April 30, 2001 you might be able to pay a fine and adjust in the U.S.

This answer is not to be construed as legal advice. For a free telephone consultation, contact us now at: info@moralespllc.com (512) 215-5235 Austin, (214) 377-4822 Dallas, (713) 242-1783 Houston, (210) 957-8845 San Antonio Please dial extension 500

Myron Russell Morales

Myron Russell Morales

Yes, now you can do the 601 in the US, so less time is spent abroad.

Based on the facts you posted, you do not apply for adjustment UNLESS you are section 245i eligible. otherwise you will consular process with an I601a waiver

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104