Skip to main content

Married to a US citizen for 5 years when can i apply for citizenship?

Sulphur, OK |

i have been married to a US citizen for 5 years but i get a green card for 1year and 4 months even i put the application in 2009 but i get it just 01.2012, so when i can apply for citizenship ?can i apply now?or i have to wait till past 3 years on my green-card?and thank u

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you are married to and living with your USC spouse, you may apply for citizenship after 3 years of residency.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.


In a year and a half.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


it is 3 year from the date on your green card if you still live with the spouse, 5 years if you do not.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer