Skip to main content

Married for 2 months in NC, I live in TN and it is being annulled in NC. Is it necessary for me to show up at the hearing?

Waynesville, NC |

Married a jerk and prior to becoming a couple, I did a lot of work on his house for him with promise of payment. Married and finished the work up. He filed false domestic violence report and had me kicked out right after the work was done. Stole money from me and some tools. Is this something that I address at annulment hearing or is it for small claims. Need to know ASAP and this is in Waynesville, NC, Haywood County. Was kicked out in cold, street and flat broke due to his lie on the domestic violence complaint which I never did anything to him.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


There are way too many issues going on her. The very first question is whether you need to show up to your annulment hearing. The answer is yes . . . especially because I don't think the hearing is for an annulment. Annulments in NC are incredibly limited. What makes you think this is an annulment hearing? Do you have attorneys? Why did you tag prenuptial? What happened to the domestic violence charges? Why do you say he stole money and tools from you? Chances are the money was his through marital property. The first thing to do is figure out how the marriage is going to end (annulled or by divorce). If it is ending by divorce, you can handle the money owed through a separation agreement. By the way, DO NOT LIE to get an annulment . . . that would be a felony.

The information provided by Attorney Matthew V. Silva is based upon the generic and ambiguous facts presented in short questions. Without a full consultation with an attorney, you should not rely upon any information presented in this forum. The intricate facts of every case are different. The information provided is not legal advice and should not be the basis of any decision without the actual guidance of an attorney. Further, any information provided by Attorney Matthew V. Silva should not be perceived as a willingness to represent you or actual representation. If you would like to speak with Attorney Matthew V. Silva, please call Silva and Sweet, PLLC at 910-333-9833 or visit

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer