Skip to main content

Married foa almost a decade. Am not on the deed of house. Am constantly abused and to D to pack my stuff and leave.

Miami, FL |

Can he just thrown me out of the house that I kept for all of those years , working for him as a maid? What ar my basic rights. For fear, never filed a report of domestic violence. But have pictures of injuries, and pictures of damages to the house he cause in his rages when i try to get away during fights.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You can not be tossed out. His name alone on the deed means nothing. You are married, it is the marital residence. Cops will not force you to leave. It would take a judge's order to get you out.

Then again, you must ask yourself why you insist on staying in the premises. There is no "abandonment" in Florida. You lose no rights to anything simply by moving out. It may be safer for you, mentally and physically, to leave.

Confer with an attorney in person to learn in-depth how you can protect your economic interests.

I hope you found this response to be helpful. If so, your clicking "helpful" and/or "best answer" helps my Avvo rating and would be appreciated. This answer shall not be considered rendering legal advise but instead a general response to a general question. Avvo is a wonderful resource but nothing can substitute for an in-depth consultation face-to-face with a lawyer. The response shall not be deemed to create an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it create an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry from the questioner.



Thank you so much, your answer made me feel better. I am just trying to aplly for work and dn't pan n stayng abused. But need to be able t support mysef. We d not have children. Thank you so much!


I agree with my colleague. Your husband cannot kick you out of the house. It is the marital residence, meaning it belongs to both of you, regardless of the fact that he's the only one on the deed. If you fear for your safety, you may want to file for a domestic violence injunction and have the court enter an order to keep him away from you. You may also want to move out of the house temporarily while everything is sorted out.

The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. The information contained in this Website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this site, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer