Marriage certificate and license are the same thing according to Ohio state's laws?

Lakewood, OH |

Hello! My name is Elisa, I live in Lakewood, Oh. I' got married this february, on 23rd at Cuyahoga Probate Court from Cleveland, Oh. I'm Romanian and my husband is a US citizen, so I got the Conditional Green Card through marriage. I went to Romania in order to change my identity papers with my husband's name. The authorities don't want to accept my marriage license, accusing me it doesn't provide our marriage is real. They want a MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE. Does Ohio Courts use the same form for marriage license and certificate or should i ask for a separate marriage certificate? I mention my application for marriage is dated February 8th 2012. Our wedding ceremony was fulfilled on February 23rd. All signatures, including the judge's, are on the same paper which is entitled Marriage License.

A marriage license is not the same thing as a marriage certificate. A marriage license says you are legally able to marry but it does not guarantee that you are married. A marriage certificate is the certificate that shows that the marriage was solemnized. You also probably received a small sheet of paper entitled Vital Statistics. That small paper, usually green in color, is your marriage certificate with all of your data.

This information is intended as general information only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship between me and the asker.

Thank you for the answer! No, I didn't receive the small sheet of paper entitled Vital Statistics, only this Marriage License, completed with 2 more lines when the wedding took place at the court, signed and stamped by the judge and clerks. I also asked for some certified copies of the document (2 s each). What's interesting is that the copies seem more explicit than the original :D

Ala, in FL is it illegal to get a marriage license, have the ceremony and intentionally not file the certificate and let the other party think you are legally married? I posted this question yesterday but no one responded.

Ala M. Hamayel

Ala M. Hamayel

I'm not licensed in Florida, so I don't know the answer. But, generally speaking, the person who performs the ceremony is the person who files the marriage certificate with the proper agency. Talk to the person who performed your ceremony and find out what happened.

Thanks for the reply. The lady who preformed the ceremony works at the marriage license bureau. She was planning on filing the certificate, but he insisted on doing it. I have spoken to her and others who say he never mailed the signed paperwork.