Skip to main content

Marijuana possession under 20 grams and tampering charge, should I hire a lawyer?

Gainesville, FL |

At about 2 am I was pulled over for speeding and I had about a gram of marijuana, I pulled over and tossed the bud in my mouth and opened my door and the officer immediately grabbed my neck and mouth preventing me from swallowing it. The police took me to jail and charged me with possession and tampering, Im only 18 years old and never had anything on my record, I really don't want this felony charge, is there a possibility It can be dropped?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


In my professional opinion, you have to retain a good criminal attorney without a doubt. Representing yourself pro se or dealing with any serious criminal charge without any legal knowledge would be as effective as pulling your teeth by yourself.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


It's always in your best interest to have representation, especially when dealing with a Felony offense. A felony conviction can have lifelong ramifications for you. It is unlikely that you would be convicted if it is your first offense however the tampering charge carries up to a five year jail sentence.


You absolutely need to hire a criminal defense attorney immediately. My firm offers free consultations in these matters. Good luck.

This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship or constitute attorney advertising. Rather, it is offered solely for informational purposes. The facts of each case are different and unique, it is critical to consult with qualified counsel with whom information can be shared and assessed under attorney-client privilege, so that competent and quality advice can be obtained on which you can make informed decisions


If you needed surgery, would you consider performing it yourself? Knowing you wouldn't, I think it's clear that you need a lawyer to handle your criminal defense. You could lose your liberty & your license, so hiring an experienced criminal defense attorney who practices in the county where your charges are pending should be your 1st priority.

Posting an answer to your question does not create an attorney / client relationship such that you can or should rely on the information provided herein to take action. Instead, it is intended to simply provide you with information. I am not your lawyer and cannot provide you with legal advice unless and until I am hired to do so.


Yes, hire an attorney. Many firms, including mine, offer free consultations. There's a possibility it could be dropped, but if a lawyer tells you anything is 100% during a free consultation, they're lying.
Feel free to give me a call: 378-5599
I understand if you want to check with a few different attorneys before settling on one, too.
Good luck.


A criminal defense attorney can investigate your case to see if there was a search or seizure violation. This could result in the judge granting the Defendant's motion to suppress and the evidence being thrown out. Every case is different, so it is important to talk to a lawyer about this. As for your record, you will want to seal or expunge it. If you do not take care of your case probably, you will not be able to do this. Click on the link below. I recently wrote an article about record sealing.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer