Skip to main content

Marijuana charge, do I have a court case for this?

Johnson City, TN |

I was found with several friends and my roommate in our dorm with six grams of pot in a single container in our shared bathroom. We were both charged as neither of us admitted guilt. My roommate intends to plead guilty in court to the charge, and I am currently intending to plead not guilty. My question is, do I have a chance of beating the charge or should I just plead guilty? It would be my first offense outside of general traffic tickets.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

Do not just plead guilty. If the marijuana did not belong to you and your roommate is taking responsibility, the DA should dismiss but likely will not unless you have an attorney present to fight the battle for you.



I do not have a job, or any source of income. Will a "Public Defender" be able to help me? I don't wish to waste my time, though I will fight it if I can. Am I allowed a trial by Jury in Tennessee for such a case? Do court costs and fines go up generally if it were to go to court and I lose?

Eric M. Larsen

Eric M. Larsen


If you are indigent and unable to hire a lawyer, the court will appoint one for you. It will either be a public defender or a private lawyer that takes court appointed cases. Yes, you are entitled to a jury trial. If you lose, you will have to pay court costs. Feel free to contact my office if you want to talk about your case.


Never consider pleading guity to anything until you fully and comprehensively discuss all available legal options and ramifications on your plea with a licensed criminal defense attorney in your area confdentially IN PERSON.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


Do NOT plead guilty. Hire an attorney as soon as possible to help you defend against this charge. A conviction for simple possession is a class A misdemeanor that carries up to 11 months and 29 days in jail. Even if you don't end up serving jail time and are placed on probation after a plea of guilty, a conviction for this offense will stick with you the rest of your life.

Additionally, if you are currently in school, and your University is made aware of this charge, you will likely have to deal with judicial affairs. You should hire an attorney to help you with that issue as well. If you would like to discuss your case with me, feel free to give me a call at (865) 546-0011.


Just pleading guilty will have lasting consequences. Find a lawyer that practices criminal law and discuss your options. The State of Tennessee has the burden of proving you guilty and you have rights. Find a lawyer that you believe will fight for you and protect your rights.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer