Skip to main content

Mandatory retirment has lowered my child support and spousal support . I live in Ca , and higlhly need that money at this time.

San Marcos, CA |

It lower around $1000 per month. I am wondering is there any way I can get this money back? or at least gets credit for it on mandatory retirments.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I am not sure what you are asking. Consult a local attorney in person. There are not enough facts here to properly answer your question.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.


If the payor of your child support and spousal support suffered a reduction in his/her income, and thereafter requested a downward modification of his/her support obligation which was granted by the court, then the reduction in your support was proper under California law.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Good Answer" button at the bottom of this answer. By answering this question, the Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not intend to form an attorney-client relationship with the asking party. The answers posted on this website should not be construed as legal advice. The Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not make any representations about your family law matter, but rather, seeks to provide general information to the public about family-law related matters. You should consult with an attorney to discuss the specific facts of your case. Thank you.


If the support reduction was requested due to a material change in circumstances, such as mandatory retirement, and granted by the court than I would say that the reduction was legally and properly granted. Your only recourse would be to hire an attorney to appeal the decision alleging that the court abused its discretion. This is an expensive proposition and one that is not likely to meet with success.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer