Skip to main content

Low back pain continuing for months?

Little Rock, AR |

I was involved in an auto accident and am now suffering from low back pain that is severe. I am seeking treatment from a Chiropractor now and has been for about a month or so. My back isn't getting better, though. If this pain lasts for months after being released, can I still receive treatment and have it billed to the at-fault insurance company? I am considering a PT to treat with because they do things differently than a Chiropractor. I love my Chiropractor, but I need my health and I'm afraid that they aren't going to be able to fix the problem completely. Thanks in advance!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Hi I am in Cncinnati Ohio so i really don't know all the ramification s in Arkansaw. But in Ohio I recommend that my clients have their bills sent to their medical insurance carrier, in addition i have them access their medpay in their own car insurance. In some rare cases the liability carrier may pay some initially. In no fault states its different.

i also asdvise clients to talk to their family doctor about their options for further treatment. I think you can get a free consultation with an Arkansaw personal injury attoreny to help you know what to do . I wish you a speedy recovery


Consult your local trial lawyers' assn (aka "justice assn") for a motivated personal injury attorney nearby. Many times we find that insurance companies (and jurors) tend to discount the opinions of chiropractors; so getting an MD or DO involved is often helpful for recovery and for the business of prosecuting the claim.


I'm going to have to make a few assumptions to answer your questions; I assume the injury occurred less than two years ago, that you are not represented by a lawyer, and that no settlement has been reached between you and the at-fault insurer.

As to whether you can bill your treatment to the at-fault insurer for months after being released, it kind of depends upon what has gone on between you and the at-fault insurer, and what you mean by "have it billed to" the insurer.

If you have been treated and released, I assume that there is some kind of settlement discussion going on between you and the insurer.

Here is a very broad "map" of what goes on in such cases: 1. the injury happens; 2. you get treatment for your injuries, until you have either (a) fully recovered, or (b) reached "maximum medical improvement"; 3. Settlement discussions with the insurer, which eventually result in a "top" offer; 4. You either accept the top offer or file a lawsuit to ask a jury to make them pay you more.

An insurer is not going to agree to pay bills that are sent in after you have been released ... they will, upon settlement, write one check (there are some technical exceptions, but even the exceptions have the same effect), which includes everything ... medical care, pain and suffering, and everything else. One time. That is why the settlement process for an injured person, in my opinion, should be handled by a professional. If an injured person goes it alone, they will be at the mercy of a multi-million dollar corporation whose best interests are to pay out as little as they can get away with. And that is exactly what they do.

I think that what you need is a conversation. I'm attaching a link to my website ... please visit it, and contact me. I'll be happy to discuss this with you, and there will be no cost to you, and you will be under no obligation to me. But, you do need some help.