Skip to main content

Lost Passport: L1B to H1B Conversion Issues

Chicago, IL |

I recently lost my passport along with L1B visa and I-94 while in US. I was able get new passport and my request for duplicate i-94 is in process. But i have not got the visa re-stamped yet.

My company had identifed me for L1 to H1 conversion. My question is, now that i have lost my old passport and visa, can i still go ahead with this visa conversion with my new passport? I have not got new L1 visa stamped yet, but i do have my L1 petition. Is it required for me to get the visa stamped again before i can proceed with conversion? Thanks

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If oyu are in the USA you can convert your petition without a copy of the visa as long as you have the I94 and receipt numbers for the petition


Yes to the first and no to the second question.

Your employer needs to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise them, and handle the case. Your employer can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


I agree with my colleagues.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104