Skip to main content

Lost my job due to being charged with welfare fraud first offense ?

Fort Worth, TX |

Could i get probation instead of jail time and do community service until i can find a job to pay restitution? Or will they automatically jail me if i cant pay right then and there the whole amount.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Typically, first offenders who are willing to pay restitution, even if it's in monthly payments, end up getting probation. If a defendant has a criminal record, then whether the defendant gets probation depends on how bad the case is and how bad the defendant's record is. You did not offer us any info on that, so I can't speak to your situation. However, getting a good criminal defense lawyer to assist you may be quite helpful. Actually, not all welfare fraud cases that are filed are good cases. There are some technicalities the government can mess up and end up with a loser. A criminal defense lawyer can look at that angle for you, too.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.



No criminal record but not able to pay that much due to lost job because of charge.


See my answer to your previous question.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.


If you have never been convicted of a felony you are eligible for probation. In these circumstances I usually advise my clients to hold for a probation deal.
Austin Jail Release and Bond Assistance
Austin Probation Lawyer
Austin Felony Lawyer

My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for a full consultation with a local experienced criminal defense attorney. For more answers based on my 19 years of experience visit my website,