Skip to main content

Lost I-94, filed I-20 but nothing found, Can my husband still file for my adjustment of status.

Anaheim, CA |

I entered the US in 1997, my passport with I-94 was stolen in 1998. I applied for a replacement form I-120 and they stated they could not find anything. I came through LAX. I arrived for school with a F-1 visa. The school I went to is a private school, it was sold a few times before I requested for my documents, they could not give me anything other than my transcripts, they stated they requested through storage and could not locate my files (the current school is AIU, used to be ACFAA). The LA campus has since closed but I got a letter from them stating I attended school there. I also do not have my original airline documents and neither do my parents, neither does the airline.
What can I do to get my I-94 located? Do I need a lawyer for this? How much is the cost? Can USCIS find it?

Would filing for Form G-639 help?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It will be best for an experienced immigration attorney to carefully investigate and try to determine more facts. There may be a possibility that a duplicated I-94 can be issued, but more information may be needed. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.


Your situation is complicated. Call an immigration attorney to discuss the matter. Good luck to you.

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.


Yes, I think it is time for you to get a lawyer.

PS When you said I-120 ... did you mean I-102 (I-94 replacement application?)

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.



Yes I did, sorry for the confusion, I meant the I-102 (I-94 replacement application).

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III


That is what I thought. It does appear that you will benefit from meeting with an attorney.