Skip to main content

Lost Grant Deed for Real Estate in China

San Jose, CA |

How do I obtain a copy of a grant deed to a flat in China if I lost the original grant deed and I have sufficient documentation to prove that I am the owner of the property?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

But you might also also check with international law specialists here in the states or Canada who may be able to give you some pointers before you enter that market. Depends on the value of the flat how much legal assistance may be sensible.

DISCLAIMER: The forgoing comment is for general educational purposes only, and is not legal advice upon which the reader may rely as the commenter has no actual knowledge of the facts of the case, has not interviewed persons or examined evidence, and has not researched the applicable law. The comment is based only on the facts provided, which are extremely limited, and may or may not be true. Complete defenses may prevent the success of any claim. Competent legal advice should always be obtained before taking any legal action or filing suit. Readers employ any information provided herein at their own risk.

Mark Alan Mackin

Mark Alan Mackin


In China, apartments were allocated by work groups, and who knows who was keeping the records. If there is a central record keeper, all to the good.


You need to ask a lawyer in China about how it works over there.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney.


Disclaimer: The materials provided below are informational and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

You need to find a real estate attorney licensed in China to answer your question. In the U.S., documents affecting title to real property are recorded, and copies of recorded documents can be obtained from the county recorder for a fee. If the Chinese system is anything like the U.S. system, you may be able to obtain a copy of that recorded document. Be sure to consult your own attorney to protect your legal rights.