Skip to main content

Lost and desperately in need of help with CA DMV Collections debacle for undue fees!

Windsor, CA |

My girlfriend moved to Nevada from California in 2002. She registered her car in Nevada at that time and surrendered her CA license plates to the Nevada DMV for them to return to the plates California to remove the vehicle from California's systems. All seemed well until 4 months ago.

Last year I towed her to California to restore it. I had the car smogged at a CA Smog station and sent her the certificate so she could renew her Nevada registration. Apparently, CA also received notification of the Smog and the CA DMV levied her Nevada bank account for $750 in fees for back registration! She just lost her job and is now pennyless thanks to the State of CA. Repeated calls to both the CA DMV and Franchise Tax Board never go through. She lives in Nevada and can't go to a CA DMV Office! HELP!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You may wish to contact an attorney with an emphasis in DMV law. Many reputable attorneys offer a free consultation. You should meet with at least one soon.
(800) 409-7010

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.