Skip to main content

Loose pit bulls in neighborhood

Flagstaff, AZ |

so i have seen these dogs running around during the day, but they didn't seem too interested in anything. right now it is midnight and i was sitting in front of my house with a cigarette. a guy was walking down the street and a dog started barking. the guy turned and ran in the other direction, but one of the pit bulls i have seen (who turned out to be the barking dog) was running around free in the neighborhood, and obviously scared the guy into running. If i were him i would have made a police call, i want to report whichever one of my neighbors is allowing these kinds of dogs to run free, i'd rather not be attacked. how can i make a report about loose pits in the area? this is scary!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Call the police department. If they have an animal control unit or officer, they should investigate. If the dog injures someone, the owner would face strict liability. I am not licensed in AZ, but your state has strict liability for dog owners. Here is generally what the owner would face under strict liability if the dog(s) injuured someone: [Blue-Link-Below]

Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, thoroughly familiar with the area of the law in which your concern lies. This creates no attorney-client relationship.


Simply call the police and/or animal control. Describe the dogs as best you can as well as where they are and in what direction they are heading. You don't need to confront the dogs or the owner. If you know who the owner is, let the police/AC know.

If we do not have a signed fee agreement I am not your attorney and this is not legal advice.


I agree with my colleagues. Call the police or animal control. If you have the opportunity to do so, without putting yourself at risk, take a picture so you can help the police or animal control identify the dogs.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.


The local paper just ran an article on a guy getting arrested for his loose pit bulls terrorizing a Flagstaff neighborhood - so it's possible that this asker followed the advice of my estimable colleagues. Way to go AVVO.

Anyone viewing this web site should not act on any information contained on this site without seeking professional counsel from an attorney. Use of this web site and/or transmission of information to the firm is not intended to create, and should not be construed as creating, an attorney-client relationship with the firm or any of its attorneys. If you choose to communicate with the firm or any of its attorneys or other personnel through this web site, do not transmit any confidential or sensitive information by e-mail until you have spoken to an attorney from our firm either by telephone or in person. This web site may be considered advertising under applicable laws and ethical rules. The Law Offices of Brent D. Harris, PLLC do not seek to represent anyone in any state where lawyers in the firm are not admitted to practice, or in any state where this web site fails to comply with all laws and ethical rules of that state.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer