Looking to relocate to different state but custody agreement states I have to reside in current county. What do I need to do?

Houston, TX |

Mutual agreement signed at Attorney Generals office states I have to reside in current and/or contingent counties. Looking to relocate to diff. State due to soon to be husbands job relocation. Father of my children stated I can't move due to the move not having to due with my school or my job, but with my fiancee. My fiancee and I have offered to drive the kids to and back when it his time to see the kids since it is only 4 hours away. I need to know what I can do to ammend this agreement and if I need to hire a lawyer or can I attempt to do this myself at the court. I am by no means attempting to keep him from seeing the kids. Funny part is prior to this he saw his kids every few months. All help, advice, and suggestions,p are appreciated.

Thank you all for all of the advice provided. Thanks to my persistence their father has agreed to help with the change. Is the process still the same and does it help that he is now willing to help. Thank you.

You need to file a modification to remove the residency restriction. You need a tough, smart attorney to help. You need to be able to prove that ex only saw the kids "every few months" for the past couple of years to help get the residency restriction lifted.

It appears that you live in Harris County so this website has plenty of great attorneys for you to choose from. Just look around - ignore the rating system - plenty of good attorneys have not "claimed" their listing. You might look under divorce, family, child custody, etc. to get a variety of attorneys. Most offer a free consultation in person or over the phone. Most offer payment plans to make their services affordable.

I only mediate these days -- hopefully, mediation is an option. It is normally more creative than going before the judge & also cheaper.

Fran Brochstein has over 20 years legal experience & enjoys educating the public about Texas laws. She is a full-time family law mediator in the Houston area. If you found this answer "helpful" or "best answer", please select the button to show your appreciation. Please understand that this is not a personal consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. You are strongly encouraged to consult with an attorney in your county in person about your specific legal problem. You can contact her at 713-805-9591 - 7 days a week - her personal cell phone.

Thank you for the information you provided. I am looking at all my options and hadn't heard of a mediator. Could you provide me with more information about this role. I honestly do not have thousands of dollars to spend, but I do not want to miss the opportunity of having an expert help me with this situation.

Fran Brochstein

Fran Brochstein

Google "mediator" and several mediation websites will pop up. Basically a mediator is a trained neutral third party that helps the two of you come to an agreement outside of court. If an agreement is reached & you sign the MEDIATED SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT, it is submitted to the Court that has jurisdiction over your case. Then you take the MSA to a TX attorney to do the paperwork for the Judge to sign to make the agreement enforceable by contempt in case either party does not follow the agreement. I cannot do the paperwork (even though I'm a licensed TX attorney) if I act as the mediator. My website is www.familylaw4u.com - it contains an article on mediation that I wrote several years ago for a paralegal presentation that I gave in the Houston area & my blog link is there that contains several articles on mediation. I belong to the Texas Mediator Credentialing Association & the Texas Association of Mediators & they have websites too.

Ms. Brochstein is correct. You need to file a motion to modify the parent-child relationship and ask the judge to lift the geographic restriction. And you really ought to hire a lawyer to help you do this. That geographic restriction is one of the more difficult things to get changed - a lawyer will be able to tell you how receptive your particular judge might be to this request, and help you get the evidence you need in front of the judge.

Thank you for taking the time to help. I greatly appreciate it.

Edward Brandon Beckham

Edward Brandon Beckham

Good Observation by Ms. Barnett.

The answers you have received so far are excellent. This is not be easy. Get a good, very good lawyer.

Courts like both parents actively involved in their kids lives. Mom moving across the country makes that tough. His prior lack of involvement is huge.

File the modification ASAP. It can take a while and you should get started.

Do I need to hire a lawyer to file the modification or is that something I can do on my own while I'm in the process of hiring a lawyer? Thank you.

Mark Allen Land

Mark Allen Land

I do not think it is in your interest to try to do this on your own.

Edward Brandon Beckham

Edward Brandon Beckham

Good Observation.

As the other attorneys have all correctly stated...get a family law attorney to assist you, as modification(s) of an order can be complex. It is worth the money you would spend to do so; and to know it has been handled correctly. Attempting to do it on your own can result in potential error(s) and more monies to correct it.

Rengin Bekhtyar's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Edward Brandon Beckham

Edward Brandon Beckham

Good Observation.