Skip to main content

Looking for help based on malpractice, breach of contract and many other possible issues.

Ambridge, PA |

My daughter was in an Residential Treatment Facility for 13months and did not receive the care that she was to get. She was sexually abused by anther client within the facility, she attempted suicide (that was never reported). She has since been released to come home. She has been in DAS program and another psychiatric stay at a mental health hospital. She is receiving outpatient services through the same company and again not receiving what I signed for.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


I would recommend finding an experienced malpractice attorney to discuss your potential case. Security in psychiatric facilities is very important, and I would discuss immediately with an attorney. Was police report or investigation done regarding the assault? That would be important information to tell your attorney. I'm sorry your daughter is having a difficult time.


Find an experienced PI attorney. These kinds of cases have special complications. Good luck!

The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. I am only licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and I am not providing you with specific legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances and/or the jurisdiction where you reside. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Your question, although you may believe is simple, it is not simple. You require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.


I agree with Mr. Tolin's point that a police report should be filed regarding the sexual assault. Otherwise, you should immediately consult with a personal injury attorney who can investigate the facts and determine what recourse you have. Use the Find a Lawyer tab on Avvo to find one in your area. Best of luck to you...

THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. . That relationship is established by the execution of a written agreement for legal services. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.


You will need a specialized lawyer who is local to evaluate your potential causes of action. God bless you, this must be especially hard for you. I have been involved in similar cases in Florida and they are very complicated. I wish you and your family the best.


Best to have a lawyer investigate. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to find a top-rated Avvo lawyer with a low contingency fee.


I just finished handling a very similar case involving sexual assault by a resident against another resident of a "group home." There are a lot of factual issues in these cases.
You need to hire an attorney to assist you. Not receiving "services" at the new facility is a separate matter.

If you feel this is the "best" answer or is "helpful," please indicate. Since I am limited to the information you provide, I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the answer. You should seek the advise of an attorney who can explore all aspects of your question. This communication does not form an attorney client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer