Skip to main content

Looking for advice for an employee theft case.

Milwaukee, WI |

A friend of mine used "abandoned" company credits towards her friends purchases. She was questioned by a county detective. She is right at the border of the state's line between misdemeanor and felony. She is in her late 20's and has a clean record. Is there any way she can pay the company back and save herself the mental anguish? She has been very cooperative with the company and the detective. The detective said he will present the case to the DA and there will most likely be a hearing from there. What can she do in the mean time, what is the chain of events from here, and what is her possible/probable outcome?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

She should hire local counsel and request a pre-charging conference with the DA's office to see if something like that could be arranged before formal charges issue and hit the internet.

This answer is provided for general information only. No legal advice can be given without a consult as to the specifics of the case.


Attorney Witt is exactly correct; she should hire a criminal defense attorney NOW and try to influence the DA's charging decision. Focusing on paying restitution now may or may not be helpful and could possibly be harmful depending on the facts.

Please mark answers you appreciate with positive feedback!<p><a href="">Attorney Nicholas J. Passe</a><p><l>Disclaimer: Per the community guidelines, no attorney/client relationship is created by the asking or answering of questions on this web site, nor do the answers constitute legal advice. Always hire an attorney before making any important legal decisions. Posting details of a case on may be subject to discovery in criminal or civil litigation, so erring on the side of nondisclosure is wise.<p><a href="">Moen Sheehan Meyer, Ltd.</a>


Worst case scenario, she will end up convicted of several felonies and could go to prison.

She needs legal counsel, the sooner the better.

My answer to your question is based on the facts that you provide in your question. Additional factual details about your situation could change my answer completely. The law in inherently uncertain and always subject to change.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer