Skip to main content

Looking for a sample of a family settlement agreement for an estate.

Erie, PA |

We are co-exec. and need to file an agreement before we can move on.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You have not indicated in the executors and heirs are in agreement on settlement. If this is the case, you should hire a local lawyer who specializes in Probate and Estate Administration to draft the agreement.

If you are not in agreement, then each Executor, and possibly, each beneficiary or heir, should hire there own counsel to represent them in the drafting of the agreement. This latter is more likely the case. Your attorney should analyze whether a conflict of interest exists between the parties and should advise your to hire separate counsel accordingly.

This is not intended as specific legal advice. You should consult a local lawyer. The advice in your jurisdiction may vary.

Best of luck.


Obviously, you are attempting to adminster this estate without a lawyer. If you need to enter into a family agreement, then you have issues. Attempting to do this on your own is just asking for trouble. Retain an estates attorney to assist you in drafting an agreement that will be binding and enforceable and that will limit the chance of a legal dispute that will cost all parties attorney fees.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below and/or designate my answer as best answer. Thanks.
Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is uuthorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States.His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is , his website is and his blog is
Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency. ,
website is
blog is

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer