Skip to main content

Listing addresses where I resided question on the N400 form?

New York, NY |

When listing addresses where I resided on the N400 form, do I need to list address which I have stayed in when I traveled outside the US with my green card. For example, I traveled for about two month to my country and stayed at my families house? Do I need to list that address? Or Do i only list US address which I have lived in?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


There is no penalty for placing all information in your application. If you were overseas, it would not hurt to place that information. I have never seen an issue with an application where a person did not place the information down for their overseas trips, but if you wish to err on the side of caution, you may place this information. However, just note this place was not a permanent address, so you may confuse an officer by including that information.

William Quirk, Esq. Meehan & Quirk, LLC 354 State Street, Hackensack, New Jersey (201)968-0800 The answers to questions provided by Mr. Quirk are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. This information is for informational purposes only and does not form any relationship between the individual asking the question and the attorney. You should investigate and consider all possible outcomes with a skilled individual before making a final decision.


Only US addresses.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


US addresses

Best to discuss in detail with an immigration lawyer

John Lassen 1-877-252-4630


Did you give up your apartment in the US when you traveled to see family? If you kept your US home address, you don't have to list the addresses you stayed at during your travels. USCIS will see that you were out of the country temporarily since you have to list your trips in another section of N-400.

On the other hand, if you gave up your U.S. apartment before you went abroad and rented a new place upon your return, you should list the address abroad to fill the gap.

Sophia Solovyova, Esq. 32 Broadway Suite 1310 New York, N.Y. 10004 T: 917-279-0134 F: 646-435-9234