Skip to main content

Life insurance, face amount

Irving, TX |

my husband bought life insurance in term when i was married to him, the face amount is 129000$. when i divorce, i m entitled to half to it. does it mean i can get 60000$? or it just means if my husband dies, ill get 60000?

+ Read More

Filed under: Divorce
Attorney answers 4


The face value is what your beneficiaries will collect. The cash value is the excess of your premium payments over the cost of the insurance.



means after his death i get it? as it is in term, if i divorce, i will not get any?


1. Speak with your family lawyer.

2. Depending on what type of policy, if it has a cash value you could be entitled to your equitable share.

Eric Dick, LL.M.; LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Mr. Dick is licensed to practice law in Texas and his office located in Harris County. Mr. Dick primarily practices insurance law in Texas and offers free consultations. Mr. Dick is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney client relationship. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Often times the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Dick strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in his or her state in order to ensure proper advice is received. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.


You've asked before - you need to get this answered in the context of the whole community estate. See an attorney.

This answer DOES NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is based on the limited information provided and is not intended to be conclusive advice. There are likely other factors that might influence or change the advice after a more lengthy consultation.


It is a term life insurance policy with no cash value (usually the case with term policies), you would apparently receive half of the death proceeds if the policy is still in force when he passes. More information would need to be known to assess how the proceeds would be paid out if you predeceased him.

This information is subject to the disclaimer below.

This is general information based upon limited facts, should not be construed as legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. The author is licensed in Indiana and Ohio attorney only.

Michael Ross Miller

Michael Ross Miller


While William's is the best of the four answers, it still leaves one issue, and that is the naming of a beneficiary on the policy. A divorce nullifies the name on a beneficiary designation unless: 1. The decree states that the former spouse's designation survives the divorce, or 2. The insured redesignates the former spouse after the decree is signed.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer