Lie detections tests.

Chicago, IL |

Dear Attorney's, The question I have is, I have heard that lie detector tests isn't admissible in the court of law. If that is true, then what is the purpose of it, and why have it at all ?

Polygraph results are not admissible in court but may serve to narrow down the issues or zero in on suspects. They are also used outside the legal arena. For example, they might be used when someone applies for a position requiring high security clearance.

Remember: the state has the burden to investigate and build a case. If the lie detector machine indicates that the person becomes very nervous during a line of questioning, it is a good lead.

This answer is intended as informational only, and does not constitute legal advice or form an attorney-client relationship between us.

It is not admissible because it is not considered sufficiently reliable from a scientific viewpoint. It is used as an investigative tool by the police. www.galivanlaw.net

Intelligence services use them on their employees. Just because they are not admissible in court, doesn't mean they don't have a purpose.