Skip to main content

License Suspended Retroactively from conviction date or incident date?

Denver, CO |

I had an eluding case that was worth 12 points (I believe) in Jefferson county over 6 years ago. I moved out of state and my old attorney for whatever reason did not get the case taken care of- we entered a guilty plea of eluding but the attorney didn't submit paperwork. Recently, I had flown back to colorado and took care of the case. During that 5-6 year period my license was suspended in Colorado from the failure to appear warrant after we didn't get the right paperwork in. My question is after I pay the DMV fee and fines ($150) from the incident, will my license be suspended one year from now or retroactively to 5-6 years ago? P.S. I don't plan on getting my license out in Colorado but in California.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I would contact local Denver attorney Rhidian Orr, who is the guru of all DMV concerns. He can easily answer your question. My experience with DMV is that you had your license suspended for the FTA warrant and would now having your driver's license resuspended for a year due to pleading to the eluding charge. Since CO and CA are "compact law states" that might mess with you ability to get a license in CA. Talk with Mr. Orr. You can find him on this site and tell him that I sent you to him.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.


I agree with Mr. Leroi -- Rhidian is top-notch!!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.