Skip to main content

Library Trustee's son is a FT employee. Can this Trustee legally be present when his son's ongoing issues are being discussed?

Ottawa, IL |

Son is a hypochondriac that has slept at work, and missed over 6 months of last year, goes AWOL monthly, and his father declines to leave the meetings when this is discussed, knowing that in a small town, his fellow board members will vote in his son's favor to honor him, as the father is upstanding in the eyes of some. Taxpayers are paying 4 other service vendors to cover the jobs the son refuses to do, including mowing the grass, changing light bulbs, and shoveling snow, all part of general maintenance. The son is trying to get disability so he can be home with his wife who he thinks was messing around on him prior.

+ Read More

Filed under: Trusts Trustee
Attorney answers 3


Wow. There are a multitude of issues, here. I do not think the father needs to leave the room, but he probably should not be voting, because there is a clear conflict of interest. This sounds like a bad deal, all the way around. It may be best if the son DOES get disability, since presumably, he would no longer be able to work at all. This is not a legal matter, at this point, aside from the disability issue. It sounds like everyone is trying to do the best they can to deal with this young man's problems. At some point, they are not going to be able to continue to cover for him.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!


Attend the board meeting and ask to be placed ion the agenda. Have your friends and neighbors do likewise. The trustee need not be required to leave the room. By the way - If you are located in Ottawa that county seat is not a small town.


Q: Library Trustee's son is a FT employee. Can this Trustee legally be present when his son's ongoing issues are being discussed?
A: Sure. And just as surely, he should recuse himself from voting on this issue.

This is not legal advice. I am not your lawyer. You are not my client. You cannot rely on my response to your question. My response to your question is probably worth exactly what you paid for it. You don't get to sue me for anything. If you'd like to sue me, well you have to hire me first. Here's how you can hire me! #1 Call: 1-888-463-2843 #2 Email: #3 See me on TV! - go to the Ask the Expert tab! #4 Listen to my radio show (2 full hours every week!) - go to the podcast section.