Legal to ask birthyear on a volunteer position application?

Albuquerque, NM |

In the process of applying to volunteer on for a city facility, I was asked on the application to fill out my birth date, including the year. Is is legal to ask for the year? Thanks

It is legal to ask. If you feel you are discriminated against because of your age, you should discuss the matter with an attorney However, due to the fact this is a volunteer position, it is hard to picture what relief may be available.

I am licensed in New Mexico and Pennsylvania, and therefore any discussion of issues related to other states must considered within that context. In addition, my comments are not intended to create a legal representation but merely to respond to the limited facts presented by the question. Any opinion herein is not meant as a precise statement of legal rights or as a recommendation of any particular course of action. A more complete legal review can be obtained through local counsel.