Skip to main content

Legal advice after being struck by a car while walking?

Pittsburgh, PA |

Three days ago a woman hit me with her car as I was crossing an intersection. I was in the crosswalk with the walk light on. She was trying to make a left turn before the traffic going straight started moving. I believe she was going around 15-20 mph. when I was struck. My body cracked her windshield and I was flung from the car when she stopped. I was taken to the hospital and checked out and thankfully I don't any broken bones. My backside is bruised and my neck and legs hurt. There were witnesses listed in the police report that saw the whole thing. Her insurance company called me yesterday but I was unable to answer the phone and they left a message. I am worried they will try to avoid paying for my hospital visit.

I'm clearly upset by her negligence as it could have been much worse.

The doctor at the ER wrote me an excuse to miss a day of work but I just worked the next day. I have mild pain irritations and my neck has increasingly been getting more tender so I feel I need to have that looked at. I'll have to look into getting a lawyer I suppose. Thank you to everyone for answering.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 9


Do not speak with the woman's insurance company. Contact a local and qualified personal injury litigation attorney asap. Obtain necessary and appropriate medical attention. Report this to your insurance company. Good luck.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


You have a claim for all past and future medical expenses, lost income and pain and suffering caused by the incident. I always suggest consulting with a good local personal injury lawyer before before making any decisions on how to proceed. Do not under any circumstances provide a recorded statement to the insurance company. A good attorney will guide you through the process, do all of the little things that require experience and maximize your recovery.

Good luck.


You should retain an attorney immediately. You should not talk with her insurance company. Let your lawyer communicate for you. They can be very tricky in what they will ask you to try to hurt you again by preventing you from making a claim. Don't let them do that to you. Get a lawyer. Feel free to contact me if you want to discuss.

This provides general information about Pennsylvania personal injury lawsuits and other legal information. Nothing here is intended to be legal advice. Nothing here constitutes the formation of an attorney client relationship. Nothing here is not intended to solicit clients outside the State of New Jersey or the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. In order to discuss representation, we must personally speak with you and enter into a signed, written agreement for representation. I can be reached at 215-790-4581 for free initial consultation.


I agree with these attorneys. Your description suggests you have a strong case against the driver. Retain a qualified lawyer asap & good luck.


You should immediately contact a personal injury attorney to represent you and you should have your attorney return the call to the insurance company. You are entitled to be compensated for your injuries and medical bills. Best of luck with your claim.


Medical bills are first paid by "first party" coverage up to the limit stated int he policy. Which insurance policy will apply in your case will depend on some facts not addressed in your question.

You also have a claim for your pain, suffering etc. as well as any unpaid medical under the driver's liability coverage. How significant that claim is will depend on how your injuries resolve.

I would be happy to discuss this with you in more detail.

This answer contains general information only; and it is not intended as legal advice. It is not intended to and does not create an attorney client relationship. Information contained here is only a starting point and you should consider discussing your specific problem in depth with a licensed attorney.


Don't make any statements to the insurance company. Retain a personal injury lawyer. The secret to retaining a personal injury lawyer in PA is finding one with a low fee agreement, less than 30%, so you are left with the lion's share of the settlement, not your lawyer. Also, make sure the lawyer doesn't deduct costs from your share of the settlement money. Good luck.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


If you or a relative you live with have car insurance, your medical bills must first be submitted to your car insurance company. If not, then the driver's insurance company will be responsible for your bills. There are medical payment limits which will apply.

My website has additional information which may be useful.

The answer is based on the limited facts provided and is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. Contacting me, by itself, does not create an attorney-client relationship.


I agree with the responding attorneys. You should contact a qualified personal injury attorney in your area. I would recommend that you consult with Mr. Lassen. From his consistent and thorough answers on Avvo, I can tell he is a quality lawyer. I hope you found my response helpful.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer