Skip to main content


New Brunswick, NJ |

My partner lives in Europe and I want to move to be with her. I have 3 kids, they are teenagers and one will soon be emancipated. I want now to move to Europe, but what is the situation regarding child support. I pay and I want to continue to pay but I will be on less money than my current job. How can I do this legally.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


This situation is more complex than a traditional request for child support modification case. I strongly suggest that you retain an attorney to assist you.

If you found this Answer helpful, please mark it as "Helpful" or "Best Answer". Your feedback is greatly appreciated. PLEASE NOTE: The above statements are provided for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. Transmission of the information is not intended to create, and the receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship between sender and receiver. You should not act or rely on any information contained on this site without first seeking the advice of an attorney.


If you are asking whether you can move, yes you can. Will your child support be reduced due to your move - it may or may not. More information would be needed to give you a more detailed answer. You should consult with an experienced attorney. This is not an easy question to answer online.

This answer is being made for informational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice. By responding to a question, no attorney-client relationship has been established.


Your child support obligation will not change because you choose to move to Europe. If you voluntarily take a job that pays less, the court may order that your child support obligation continue without a decrease.