Skip to main content

Leaving the scene of an accident/hit and run in Nashville?

Nashville, TN |

Last night, it was late and i lost control of my vehicle. I take prescription medication and mixed with a few drinks (and several hours) i hit a telephone pole. I left the scene of the accident. The police arrived (i was not there). The car was towed. I recently purchased the car from the owner and was driving using his plates (my father). No one showed up at his house (no call from him) and no one has called. What should i do? How much will an attorney cost?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


You should immediately contact a local attorney. Most offer free consultations so that will cost you nothing but you have broken the law and need representation. Sometimes it takes the police a few days to show up but you are in a very bad situation as it stands and you need to have representation.

Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at www. I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


I'm a firm believer in living with a clean conscious. Contact local and qualified counsel. Good luck.
Ps. I think you are too.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


You need to consult an attorney right away. Do not post any additionally statements about your case as it could be used against you. If you are interested in a free consultation feel free to call my office at 615 767 5900.


The other attorneys have said it very well. You need to find a local Nashville attorney immediately to help you through this process. Fortunately, there were no injuries and only property damage involved.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not intended nor construed to be "legal advice" but rather it is analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I have been licensed to practice law in California since 1978. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.


First, it is important to take responsiblity for the crash and deal with the circumstances. Since it was a single car collision, and no one was apparently hurt, that helps the situation. Most likely Metro police impounded your car, and you will have to deal with the police to get it back. If you have auto insurance, you may have coverage to have legal counsel help you if there is any kind of claim involved for damage. For example, the City or a utility company could pursue a claim for damage to its property (the telephone pole). Ultimately, if you do nothing, the car will be sold, which seems a much more expensive loss than dealing with the situation. Not getting a call does not mean there is nothing going on. Most likely you will have to deal with the Metro police to work out the details. If you are not sure, and you need legal advice for yourself, consider hiring a criminal defense attorney.


Metro Davidson County has a hit and run unit and they probably have just not gotten in contact with your father yet. The plates ae his so they will trace it back to him. They will presume he was the driver until proven otherwise. If your insurance was paid and up to date, they should cover the costs of the repair of the property damage. You also need to be aware they may press charges against you for leaving the scene and possibly for DUI. In the latter case, you defintely will need to get legal representation and for goodness sake, don't give any statements to anyone until you have talked to a lawyer.

Law is state-specific and laws may vary from state to state. You should consult an attorney in your state for specific legal advice. This answer does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer