Skip to main content

Leaving state without parent consult at age 16, Washington to Oklahoma.

Tacoma, WA |

I am 16 years old and I have major family problems and my boyfriend who lives in oklahoma who is 18a senior in HS, his parents would take me in and take care of me as long as I needed it but I also could leave when I pleased. I want to know what I could be charged with because I'd be running away and what could happen to me if I was found and what I can do to protect myself so I don't have to be forced to go back home and if anything would happen to my boyfriend and his parents because in the state of OK you can leave home at 16.5 and I am from Washington State.

I would also be dropping out of school which the min age for WA is 16. my family is not abusive in any way but I get emotionally stressed and I've been stressed out for over 3years with everything that's gone on and I'm fed up with it. My Bio mom lives in Canada could I get her permission to do so since its only my father who has custody over here? I have looked up many of the laws in Wa and OK but I need more of official advice on everything that could happen with me, him, what my parents could press/charge on me and him and his family.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You could be arrested and returned to Wa. state and placed in foster care or juvenile hall -- it's illegal and your boyfriend could be charged as well in OK for harboring a runaway.

Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is only based on the limited facts given. The response might change should additional facts be learned and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney who can properly assess the situation, as well as all pertinent facts, prior to taking any action based on the foregoing statements


I am sorry you feel so stressed, but glad to hear you are not being abused. A lot of trouble could result for you and the family who takes you in if you just leave the state. If it is possible and not dangerous for you, perhaps you can sit down with your parents, maybe have the non-custodial parent on the phone or speak with her separately, explain the situation and offer the solution you have in mind. See if they are agreeable to allowing you to move in with your boyfriend's parents. The alternative is to actually seek to become emancipated.

For a free consultation related to medical malpractice, personal injury, workers' compensation, social security disability or nursing home abuse, please contact Lowenthal & Abrams, PC at 1-800-876-5299. I am licensed in Pennsylvania, but members of my firm are licensed in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. This post is not legal advice, but instead contains general educational information. Please do not act or refrain from acting based upon what you read in this post. Also please remember that this post does not form an attorney/client relationship between you and me. If you have specific legal questions, you should contact an attorney in your state for assistance. I am licensed to practice law in the state of Pennsylvania.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer