Lazy lawyer

Philadelphia, PA |

I was involved in a car accident about 3 yrs ago. I was hit directly in the rear by a truck. My lawyer at the time promised to get me all that I deserved. I ended up losing my job had to withdraw from school and had back surgery. He rarely kept me posted about my case. Heres where he stopped completely working my medical charts said I had a previous injury therefore he said there was little he could do. I ended up settling for a less amount then he had me give him 20, 000 for my medical bills in which he held on to for a yr. Heres the real kicker till this day I am in debt to those medical bills and theyre threatening to sue me. Is there anything I can do.

All expenses should be resolved at time of settlement. Was your lawyer advised that doctors were owed? Your post standing alone does not suggest that your lawyer did anything wrong.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff www.nyelderinjurylaw.com

My lawyer knew of all my medical expenses we sat and discussed thoroughly. Upon I was under the impression that my medical bills would be paid aside from the settlement. But it came out of it along with his fee which by the time all that was done I was left with barely anything. It took 3yrs to settle and after all the emotional and physical changes the last thing I should have to continue to deal with is those medical bills. Wasn't that his job as my lawyer?

It sounds like a bad lawyer, curious to know who

David Rappaport

It doesn't sound like it. The decision to settle is yours, and you signed the release, I would imagine. Really the attorney should have negotiated all the medical bills before accepting the settlement so that they would all be satisfied. You should demand an accounting of where every penny of the settlement check went to, and verify with the doctors that the attorney did in fact pay the amounts he claimed.

This is general advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

There's really not enough information in your post to give you any real legal advice. The only way anyone could give you a reasonable advice would be to review your file and talk to the other lawyers/lawyers involved in the case. No offense, but all we hear in this post is your short version of what happened.
For instance, you said he "stop completely working my medical charts said I had a previous injury". If you fail to disclose this previous injury to your lawyer, your treating physicians or failed to disclose this in interrogatories, or a deposition, this could have a devastating negative impact on your case.

Also, you say you were hit directly in the rear by a truck. You didn't say whether there was any damage to your car or to the truck. If there was no damage, that would have a severe impact on your case.

Let me be clear, I'm not saying that you did anything wrong or withheld any information in the post, I'm simply saying that it's impossible to give you a reasonable opinion without looking a lot deeper into this.

Nonetheless, I am sorry for your situation and I wish you the best of luck.

Why not make an appointment with your attorney that handled your accident and ask him about the questions you are asking here. Good luck.

Mr. Crosner is licensed to practice law in California and has been practicing law in California since 1978. The response herein is general legal and business analysis.. It is not intended nor construed to be "legal advice" but rather it is analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

You could have refused to settle. You could have gotten an opinion from another lawyer before you settled. Having agreed to settle your claim you are stuck with the outcome whether it was good or bad.
Call your lawyer and ask him why you are being dunned for medical bills. Tell him you want to come in to his office and have him explain the situation to you in person and to show you what documents he has that will explain it. If he refuses to explain this, tell him you will report this to the Disciplinary Board. I am sure that will get his attention. Although I do not like to see lawyers reported to to the Disciplinary Board, you are entitled to an explanaion.