Skip to main content

Lawyer misrepresented me in my divorce can I take it back to court

Milledgeville, GA |

I believe my lawyer was paid off by my ex-husband to misrepresent me I got done wrong in every way my husband is asucessful business man with income of about 200,00.00 ayear I cant afford a attorney again can someone help me and make paytment arrangements r order payment from him

+ Read More

Filed under: Divorce
Attorney answers 3


That's highly unlikely. You have alleged a serious crime and something for which a lawyer can be disbarred. Make that allegation falsely and you can expect to be sued and severely dealt with. If you actually have evidence, stop posting on the internet, and contact the state bar of Georgia and your county DA to pursue it. If the allegation is not backed by serious evidence, stop mentioning it.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


First it is important to ask yourself what makes you think your attorney got paid off by your ex-husband; it is very unlikely that an attorney would risk his or her reputation and license this way. If your suspicions turn out to be true, they may well be career-ending for the attorney. I would encourage you to speak with your former lawyer and see if she or he can explain to you satisfactorily why things did not go as well as you had hoped in the divorce. There could have been a lot of factors in play that the attorney had no control over. If you genuinely suspect that the attorney may have been paid off, you could file a bar complaint. You can also use the AVVO search feature to find a new attorney in your area. Good luck.


I agree with my colleagues here. If you truly have evidence of the lawyer doing this, take it to the Georgia Bar. If not, please don't post this. I will say it is highly unlikely this is true though. No one case is worth our license to practice law. I wish you the bets of luck in this situation!

This response does not establish an Attorney-Client relationship. It is highly advised that if you wish to discuss this further that you inquire into hiring local counsel.