Late Paycheck Law

Washington |

What is the law on when an employer needs to pay an employee? My former employer, a religious nonprofit, has been mailing the paychecks late for two times in a row (they owe me for 3 pay periods still, which fall on the 5th and the 20th of each month). They don't do direct deposit. Are there laws about when it must be mailed, etc.? Last time it was at least four days late, and this time ? I don't want the next 2 paychecks to be like pulling teeth? What can I do? Help!

Filed under: Employment

I practice law in Virginia. Our state has a state wage an hour department in its department of labor and industry. You should check to see if your state has a similar department. Of course, your employer could retaliate against you by terminating your employment so you do need to be careful.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.