Last night, my girlfriend and I were rear ended by a intoxicated off-duty police officer and he ran from the scene...

Elmhurst, NY |

Last night, my girlfriend and I were rear ended by a intoxicated off-duty police officer and he fled approximated 1/2 mile from the scene before his vehicle stalled out. The officer was arrested for DUI and "hit and run". Also my girlfriend was taken to the hospital by an ambulance and I was driven to the same hospital after questioning and a statement at the police precinct. Also my vehicle was later claimed to be "totalled". I just wanted to hear some experts advice on my delicate situation at hand and find out what would be the possible spectrum of minimal and maximized judgements? (ie. insurance, personal lawsuits, and etc.)

The delicate situation is the one the off-duty police officer now finds himself in. Also, he is the one who needs advice from attorneys concentrating their practices in DWI defense.

But I digress ...

If your insurance has already totaled your car, they should litigate on your behalf against the policy of the drunk driver. You should speak with your insurance company and see if they will assist you in this. If you have a local attorney you trust, you should also raise this issue with him or her.

Your girlfriend should speak to a personal injury lawyer if her injuries warrant it.

Christopher I. Simser, Sr,
Anelli Xavier
269 West Jefferson Street, Second Floor
Syracuse, NY 13202

Victoria L Clemans

Victoria L Clemans

This doesn't surprise me at all.

To soon to say. You need to establish "serious injury" as that term is defined in the Insurance Law in order to recover for pain and suffering. Be sure to submit no-fault insurance claims to the carrier for the car you were in within 30 days to get your lost wages and medical bills paid. Consult a personal injury lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Repost this in personal injury/civil litigation.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

You have the right to sue the intoxicated police office for the damage to your car if your insurance doesn't take care of it. If your girlfriend is injured, she can bring a personal injury action against the police officer and the owner of the car he was driving. If she thinks she might sue, she should probably have an attorney file a "notice of claim" immediately against the municipality that employed the police officer, which will protect your right to sue the municipality, although that appears to be a long shot.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email - Jgold@goldbenes.com

Depending on your girlfriend's injuries (and yours) you have a great personal injury case. It does not matter that he is a cop. My law partner prosecutes personal injury cases. 1-877-996-6849 http://www.WinThatCase.com

You may want to contact one of the New York attorneys that responded to your question for a in depth consultation. I hope you found my response helpful.

You can contact CCRB or Civilian Complaint Review Board but since he was off duty there is little if anything they can do. Also a suit against the city may be fruitless because he was off duty. (Suits against the city need a 90 day notice of claim). Suing him and his personal insurance carrier may be your only option to recovery money damages for your girlfriend's medical and pain and suffering and damage to your car. You will probably get a good presuit settlement since he was clearly at fault but get a good Personal Injury lawyer to put it into suit just in case. One would have to check for asset first like if he owns stocks, real estate, cash, etc. Get copies ofall the accident reports now!

Hire a lawyer to protect your legal rights today.

THE ESTRELLA LAW FIRM, P.C.
“LEGAL REPRESENTATION AND CONSULTING SERVICES THAT GO THE EXTRA MILE”

Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq.
Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado
Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut
The Estrella Law Firm, P.C.
75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170
Inside The Bulova Corporate Center
Jackson Heights, NY 11370
T. (347) 628-2391
F. (718) 672-4728
E. Estrella.Jeffrey@gmail.com
www.EstrellaLawyer.com

The answers posted herein are not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship exists. Call for a free 20 minute consultation! THE ESTRELLA LAW FIRM, P.C. “LEGAL REPRESENTATION AND CONSULTING SERVICES THAT GO THE EXTRA MILE” -- Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq. Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut The Estrella Law Firm, P.C. 75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170 Inside The Bulova Corporate Center Jackson Heights, NY 11370 T. (347) 628-2391 F. (718) 672-4728 E. Estrella.Jeffrey@gmail.com www.EstrellaLawyer.com

Jeffrey Jose Estrella

Jeffrey Jose Estrella

Also no fault papers must be in by 30 days so do not delay. You and your girlfriend are unlikely to be pointing blame at one another but for legal reasons you might have to so you may need seperate attorneys unless you trust one enough to waive the conflict.