Skip to main content

Large hematoma after c-section...can I do anything?

Canonsburg, PA |

I had a c-section and got a very large hematoma, it spanned from hip to hip and belly button to pubic. The bruising spread clear to my knees. It was not diagnosed for 1 week. I made several phone calls explaining the pain and bruising (not knowing at the time I was bleeding underneath the skin) and was told bruising is normal, see you on Monday. Well come Monday, I was rushed to the hospital for an emergency blood transfusion, blood count was 6.0.. Almost four months later, the blood in my abdomen has not reabsorbed and I can no longer see a doctor because I lost my insurance. My skin is still discolored and I can not do prolonged activity because of the pain. Every doctor said they've never seen one as big from a c-section and can only hope my body will reabsorb it, maybe within a year...

I'd like to know if because it was put off from the dr.s and the problem got so bad..can I do anything. I have many children and can't do the normal things I use. I expected to come home and enjoy the first few months of the baby's life happy. Instead I was close to bleeding to death and could barely move. The dr. that did the c-section not once examined me, members within the practice did and of course they attempt to make this a not so big deal. A nurse of 30+ years said she never saw the likes of this and cried and told me I should do something about it because it was probably caused from the dr. cutting an artery without realizing it. He did rush through because there was an emergency c-section he had to get to. i also had a tubal ligation during the surgery and I felt it, even when told I wouldn't.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I do not practice in PA so I can only provide you with general information.

In a medical malpractice case you have to show that the doctor's care was below the applicable standard of care (negligent) and that the negligence caused the injury.

You should consult with a medical malpractice attorney in your area. Most malpractice attorneys will usually provide a free consultation.

Good luck


It's hard to say whether the doctor was negligent. If you pursue a medical malpractice lawsuit, your attorney will consult medical experts to determine if what your doctor did was reasonable. Basically, they will compare your doctor's actions to what other doctors would have done in a similar situation. The fact that doctors and nurses are telling you they've never seen this before makes me think you might have a case. I'm licensed in Illinois, but I know attorneys in your area who could give you a free consultation and help you decide whether to pursue a case. Contact me if you'd like a referral.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer