Skip to main content

Landlord rents studio above garage to tenants with anger management issues & drug abuse.

Huntington Beach, CA |

We live in a town home with a studio attached above the garage. Our landlord has continually rented to seriously disturbed people. The first tenant had anger management issues to the point she would call companies & scream threats,& use foul language for 8 hours straight. When I nicely asked her to stop she tried to intimidate me, began calling the landlord & feeding him lies. She also had a shotgun.

When she finally moved he rented to his son who has never worked & is unable to rent elsewhere because of trashing past residences, due to his drug-induced paranoid episodes which have continued here. Long history with mental problems and drugs. We are often subjected to his episodes.
Would this be considered loss of quiet enjoyment? What recourse is available to us as renters?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


It is not illegal to rent to people with mental health issues. However, noise of the nature you describe can indeed be considered an interference with quiet enjoyment. Use the Find A Lawyer tab on this website to find a reputable tenants rights attorney in your area who can advise you how best to proceed.

The information provided herein is general information only and not legal advice. The information provided herein does not create an attorney client relationship and is not a substitute for having a consultation with an attorney. It is important to have a consultation with an attorney as the information provided in this forum is limited and cannot possibly cover all potential issues in a given situation.



Thank you!


The landlord may be interfering with your quiet use and enjoyment of the property. I recommend writing a letter to the landlord outlining all of your concerns so that the landlord is on notice of everything that you are subjected to and sending it certified mail. This helps your case tremendously in the event that your case has to go to court.



Thank you for your advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer