Skip to main content

L-2 visa running out. What are my options?

Miami, FL |

Hi, I am in the US on an L-2 visa, my wife is the L-1 holder and CEO of the business. After six years our visas will run out in Nov2014. Unfortunately our business failed in January 2014. While we still have the corporate entity there is no running business so we cannot use it to change to a Green Card, which had been our plan.

I may be able to get some new investment into the business. If that happens can I convert the L1 to another visa or Green Card before November?

Must I submit information about the company in my home country when I make the application for the Green Card? That relationship does not exist any more.

If I get a job in the meantime using my employment authorization can I convert that to a green card without leaving the country/re-applying for the job?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Your L-1 visa is not convertible to any other type of visa, however, in order to survey any other viable legal options you need to meet with an experienced counsel of your choice.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professionally competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide a competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions expressed are general in nature, and may not apply to specific, factual or legal circumstances related to one's present legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in that State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive comprehensive legal assistance before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer