Skip to main content

K-1 fiance visa status

Chicago, IL |

Hi, my daughter met an American citizen who liked her and filed K-1 fiancée visa with USCIS for her. Now he is saying that additional evidence is required. We have reasons not to believe everything he says. Can we check ourselves what's going on, at least to make sure he actually sent all paperwork to USCIS and they registered it?
Can a lawyer help with that?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


It is common for USCIS to request additional evidence. The only way you can find out is by requesting him to provide you with a copy of any receipt notice he has received to make sure he has filed the petition. Additionally you can request him to provide you with a copy of the request for additionally evidence , which will provide clarity on what the current status is.


As my colleague states, getting a request for evidence is not uncommon. Your daughter's fiancé should hire an attorney to help respond to the request. If not properly replied to, it can result in a denial.

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
SwagatUSA, LLC

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.


Are you sure that beging the in-law relationship with mistrust is a good idea? Her lawyer cannot check because the petition is his - the fiance.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


No one could control what other person does or states. I would be concerned especially, as you stated “now he is saying that additional evidence is required. We have reasons not to believe everything he says," there is a presumption by you to feel apprehensive for one or another reason.
We do not know whether there were any filings by anyone to initiate a K-1 visa for your daughter. As minimum, you may request all relevant documents as mentioned from that American Citizen (Request for Additional Evidence, any submissions, filings, correspondence) and have an immigration attorney review that.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


You can check the status online when he gives you the receipt number. You can file a freedom of information act request for a copy of your files.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.