Skip to main content

Juvenile felony, does it show on an employment screening?

Pompano Beach, FL |

This question has been haunting me forever. I received a juvenile felony way back when I was about 11-14 years old I believe. It has roughly been 7-9 years from the date. The felony was burglary of a dwelling and adjudication was withheld. I received probation and community service for a little bit and all of that has been finished of course. I honestly had no idea what i was doing at the time and the consequences of my actions because of neighborhood kids. Have kept my nose clean since then. Now my question is when my future employers background check me will it show up? I have filed for expungement but was denied and am desperate. What can I do if it does show up? I need help and all the info I can get!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


It might show up, although it is not supposed to. Juvenile record are supposed to be confidential in Florida, but, somehow, someway, as of late more and more of them are popping up in background checks. I cannot explain it except to guess that in 2014, the internet age, nothing is truly confidential, private or sacred.

Ironically it may be that your expunction petition red flagged your file somehow, as there are private companies who monitor such filings just to be able to attempt to legally extort folks to pay them to remove the information from their private websites (sealing and expunging only effects public / government entities - and even then not all of them - and not private enterprise).

You may be best advised to come clean and be open and honest about your past with potential employers, school, lenders, etc, as they might just find out anyhow (and if they do its almost always better for them to hear it from you voluntarily rather than to question you about it first).

I hope this has been helpful and wish you good luck.

First, second and third: No attorney-client relationship exists by virtue of any Q&A with Michael A. Haber, Esq. on Avvo. Fourth: Anything that you post on Avvo (or on similar sites) or on any social media is by its nature public. It is essentially an admission / confession and can be introduced into evidence as a statement against your interest in a subsequent legal proceeding. Once posted you lose any reasonable expectation of privacy, so, as this is an open forum (with no privilege attached), please be extra careful when considering what to post online (forewarned is forearmed.)


Hi the juvenile process is a little different when dealing with sealing and expunging. The majority of attorneys in your area will give you a free consultation. I suggest you take all of your paperwork to one of them, including the letter from FDLE denying your request, and let an experienced set of eyes review this for you.
Good luck


This all depends on what kind of juvenile record you have and what age you are now. You need to consult with an attorney for specific advice.

The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that you should undertake with careful considerations. The use of Avvo, Inc.'s question and answer forum is only to provide general information and in no way forms an attorney-client relationship between the you and the attorney answering your question.


For most jobs the screening process would not reveal the juvenile incident, however, certain goverment jobs or licensing boards may require you to reveal the event. You can always petition to get your record sealed as the adjudication was withheld.


Burglary of a dwelling is not an offense that can be sealed even if adjudication was withheld. It can only be expunged if you were acquitted or the case was otherwise dismissed.

That being said, it should not appear on your public record because juvenile records are confidential. It will appear on the states background if you're charged with a new crime.

The information provided is not legal advice from Criminal Defense Lawyer Albert Quirantes, or the Ticket Law Center in Miami, Florida. There is no attorney client privilege created in this communication. Do not send questions which are confidential in nature by either this venue or via email. Personal questions should be asked in person or via telephonic conference only. You should only ask theoretical questions of a general nature.


You can do public records check through the Department of Public Safety in Texas (DPS) to see if it’s available to the public. In Texas, you should not be able to see it, even without having an attorney formally sealing it. Most employers, but not all, will also be precluded from accessing your juvenile records. There are a number of lawyers who specialize in sealing records; let one of them take a look at the facts of your case and see if it’s eligible to be sealed. Remember this, as a juvenile you were not convicted of a crime but rather found to be delinquent in need to of further supervision. Good luck to you.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer