Skip to main content

Just wondering if I can sue the landlord and property management company too for my injuries from my fall down my front steps?

Syracuse, NY |

I fell down my outside stairs and I sprained my ankle very bad from the fall and may have torn ligaments in my ankle and foot,I have now been pulled out of work because of this injury and the property management company has been notified several different times that the railing was broke and the stairs are in poor condition and still haven't fixed them. Just wondered if I can sue the landlord and property management company too.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 9


Absolutely. Contact a local personal injury attorney

Mr. Pascale is licensed to practice law in the State of New York. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time-lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Pascale strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to insure proper advice is received.


The property owner/manager may very well be responsible to answer in damages for your injuries under the circumstances you set forth. Your should contact a local personal injury attorney without delay.

This answer is not intended as legal advice, nor as a substitute for legal advice received from an attorney during a consultation. Your rights and obligations may vary depending upon facts not disclosed in your question. Therefore, you should contact an attorney immediately so that your interests are properly protected.


Yes, as it sounds like the steps and railing were negligently maintained. Retain a local personal injury lawyer.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


One of the many reasons to retain an experienced personal injury attorney after an accident is that the seasoned attorney will give notice to multiple potentially responsible parties in order to be certain that anyone who may have contributed to the hazard that caused the injury is brought to account.

It is not uncommon to bring in an owner of premises as well as a property management company and sometimes a third party contractor, depending on the facts. That's why you need your own attorney to investigate the circumstances of your case and to proceed accordingly.

I wish you the best and encourage you to read more by clicking the blue link below:

Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, thoroughly familiar with the area of the law in which your concern lies. This creates no attorney-client relationship.


You need to retain and attorney and ask if there is MEDICAL PAY or MED PAY, in addition to liability coverage which may pay medical bills irrespective of fault if the injury occurred on the landlord's property

Good Luck

AVVO DISCLAIMER I am licensed in Minnesota only and my answers on Avvo assume Minnesota law. The answers I provide are for general information only and are NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and therefore must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interaction between an attorney and client and specific exact facts and the law. I do not retain clients without a signed RETAINER AGREEMENT. The Avvo forum does not allow for the discussion and the interaction necessary to form a complete legal analysis. Therefore the answers given to any specific question would most likely be different if there was attorney-client interaction. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such an attorney client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged nor are they confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and statutory time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in the answers to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an qualified attorney for legal advice licensed in the proper jurisdiction. Finally, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.


Possibly. Contact a personal injury attorney in your state.



The short answer is YES. I suggest you take photos of the defective railing, & the front of the bldg, as well as some close up photos of the specific defects if possible.
Then, call the managing agent & get the insurance info for medical payments coverage to pay your medical bills.
Get medical treatment immediately, including x-ray.
Then, get an MRI to see if there is more than a bad sprain. If there are torn ligaments, or a fracture, etc., you can contact me to represent you.


Property owners (including landlords) are under the duty to maintain their premises in a reasonably safe condition. The fact that you have notified your landlord that the railing was broken and the stairs were in a poor condition really put the landlord on notice of the defect and clearly something should have been done sooner. Potentially both the landlord and the property management company could be responsible for your injuries. If suit is filed, both would need to be named as parties to the case. My law office is in Syracuse if you wish to discuss this further. or 315-479-9000


Yes you can bring a claim. Under NY law the property must be maintained free and clear of dangerous or hazardous conditions. If the property owner or management committee knew, or should have know of the problem there was a duty to fix it. Our office handles personal injury cased in western and central NY and can help you fight for the damages to which you are entitled. Please contact me for a free consultation to talk about how we can help you.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer