Skip to main content

Just received a large tax bill from the IRS for 2011. I disagree with the amount: should I contact the IRS directly and submit

Santa Clarita, CA |

a statement or should I retain a lawyer from the outset? I'm a paralegal, but I'm not familiar with Tax Law. I had a employment settlement in 2011 that was reported to the IRS. Is it cost effective to retain a lawyer after exhausting the IRS procedures for appeals or from the outset.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Trying to represent yourself in front of the IRS is like representing yourself in court - you'll soon find out you have an idiot for a client. The more money involved - the more you need help. Hire someone - you will not regret it.


I agree you should consult and retain a tax attorney, enrolled agent, or CPA depending on the issues involved. I suspect your entire "employment settlement" is being treated as income. Qualified professional help is what you need. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


The taxability of employment issues can be tricky. You definitely should have a tax lawyer review this. Also, it is much better to have a tax lawyer negotiate for you than to do it yourself.

Good luck!

Ron Cappuccio

If you do not like this answer or disagree, please look at one of the other answers provided. It is not necessary for you to try prove this answer is "wrong" or something with which you do not agree. This is a free service for you based on limited facts. Nevertheless, many times you need to consult an attorney with the details to get actual advice specific to your concerns. Do not put too many details in your questions or comments because this makes the information public and could hurt you. Government Regulations contained in IRS Circular 230 regulate written communications about Federal tax matters, including e-mail, between us and our clients. This is another attempt by the government to limit your rights and to extend the control of government over individuals and businesses. Nevertheless, such communications are either opinions or other written communications. This is not an opinion. It is other written communication and was not written to be relied upon, by itself, to avoid any tax penalties. In order to receive assurances of protection from tax penalties from a written communication, you should get an opinion letter. If you would like to discuss an opinion letter relating to any matter, please contact me and I will explain what is involved and what it will cost.



Thank you very is indeed tricky. My only concern is that it costs more for the lawyer than the tax bill it seems. I've been quoted some pretty extravagant amounts.


You should speak with a tax attorney. It could be that the IRS is correct. Employment settlements are not per se excluded from income. They are only excluded if they are compensation for physical injury.

Christopher Larson
Insight Law
Tax Attorney
Tax Attorney - Seattle
Tax Attorney - Bellevue
Tax Attorney - Everett
Tax Attorney - Kent
Innocent Spouse Relief Everett WA
Seattle Business Tax Attorney
IRS Tax Penalties Everett WA
Back Tax Returns Everett WA
IRS Tax Problem Help Everett WA
Offer In Compromise Everett WA
Payroll Tax Problem Seattle
IRS Tax Audit Bellevue WA

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer