Skip to main content

Just got a Medicaid lien for my fatherinlaw who passed 04/2010. There are no assets. What to do?

Matthews, NC |

I was healthcare POA and my husband was financial POA. They are asking for the monies they paid to the nursing home. There was no estate when he died. How do we respond? We are in NC. Isn't there a 2 year statute?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Can't get blood out of a turnip. I wouldn't bother responding since there's nothing for the state to put a lien against.

This is not legal advice. I am not your lawyer. You are not my client. You cannot rely on my response to your question. My response to your question is probably worth exactly what you paid for it. You don't get to sue me for anything. If you'd like to sue me, well you have to hire me first. Here's how you can hire me! #1 Call: 1-888-463-2843 #2 Email: #3 See me on TV! - go to the Ask the Expert tab! #4 Listen to my radio show (2 full hours every week!) - go to the podcast section.


What was the lien on? DId your FIL have a house or other assets that passed outside probate? You say there are no assets. If there are truly no assets, there is nothing to lien and you have no responsibility for your FIL's debt. If there WERE assets, then you might be responsible under the estate recovery act in NC. If there were assets of any kind that passed to you as a result of your FIL's death, then you need to address this with an attorney. You should actually do so, anyway, because you will obviously want to respond to the state, anyway.

James Frederick

*** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state.


I recommend that you meet with an elder law attorney as soon as possible to review the claim you received from Medicaid. If your father-in-law owned any real estate at his death, it is possible that although you did not have to administer an estate, there were assets that Medicaid could seek recovery from. There are certain instances where estate recovery can be waived. An elder law attorney who is familiar with medicaid estate recovery can assist you in determining if the claim should be waived.

You should not act upon any information contained in this website without first seeking legal counsel to thoroughly review the specific facts and circumstances of your case. This is not to be considered as a solicitation for legal services in any particular matter or as an invitation to establish an attorney-client relationship as to any particular matter. An attorney-client relationship with our firm and its lawyers is established only after a specific engagement has been expressly agreed to between our firm and a client through direct person-to-person communication. The content of any email sent to Wiggen Law Group PLLC via this website will not create an attorney-client relationship and will not be treated as confidential.


They are not asking for just the money paid to the nursing home, they are searching for any available assets to pay the outstanding lien for your father in law's care. They are also trying to see if all of the money went to nursing care or whether there is real estate or other assets which can now be legally retrieved to offset the money paid out on your father-in-law's behalf.
Please see an Elder Care Attorney for assistance filing the appropriate response.


I agree with Doris but would add that while the state could simply be asking for information to determine if there is an estate recovery claim, they also could be under the impression that your husband may have spent his father's money improperly or acted improperly regarding Medicaid application or otherwise. Thus, I urge you to consult a local elder law attorney ASAP. A local elder law attorney probably will have a good sense of whether you should be concerned. Lawrence Friedman, Bridgewater, NJ. Certified as an Elder Law Attorney by the ABA approved National Elder Law Foundation, former Chair NJ State Bar Association Elder and Disabilities Law Section, Member Board of Consultors of NJSBA Real Property, Trusts & Estates Law Section, Vice Chair Special Needs Law Section of National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, and Master of Laws (L.L.M.) in Taxation from N.Y.U. School of Law.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer