Skip to main content

Just found out roommate deals drugs. How do I report it, without getting in trouble myself?

Cambridge, MA |
Attorney answers 4


Try reporting it to an anonymous tip line like 1- 800 47-DRUGS.


You could do an anonymous tip, but if the police raid the apartment you could get swept up in the raid and charged criminally. It may be better to report it but not anonymously so it is clear you have no rolle in the drug dealing. You could also ask the roommate to move out or move out yourself. If the roommate refuses, you could report him to the landlord and ask them to evict him.


You should move out. If you call the police you could be charged with the illegal stuff found. The safe thing to do is to move out.

Attorney Jason Chan
77 Franklin Street, FL3
Boston, MA 02110

disclaimer: I am not licensed to practice law in your state. Please be aware that this is for informational purposes only.


Moving out is the best action to separate yourself from the criminal activity. You can make an anonymous tip, but when action is taken by the police you may get caught in the middle of everything. You may consider becoming a confidential informant for the police and seek an agreement not to be prosecuted for your cooperation. This may be done best by having an attorney contact the police to discuss the matter so you do not have to be identified at first. Your roommate will eventually learn of your involvement, so you should be prepared for that.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided in response to a "hypothetical" question and provided for general, informational purposes and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The information presented is not legal advice and may change based additional information and research. It is recommended that you speak to an attorney to discuss your specific legal issues.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer