Just found out I have a warrant for VOP. Can I have my Violation of probation case transferred to another state?

I found out that I have warrant of arrest that was issued back in 2010 for violating my probation.
I was in Florida visiting when I committed 1st offense misdemeanor DUI. I was put on probation and was allowed to go back to Illinois where I live and go to school at that time. Because of my financial issues I have to move to California where a job was offered to me. Left few voice mails to my prob. officer but never got back me. Resided here in CA for 3yrs now.
I want to know if I can have my case transferred here in California and take care of my VOP.
I already hired a lawyer paid the entire amount for his services. However, it has been a little over a month and still no news from him for any developments.
Please help me I really want to get this over and take care of this mat

If you've already hired an attorney to help clear this up, you definitely need to talk to them about all of your concerns. Transferring probation is not likely. The best bet is to try to have the warrant recalled and clear up whatever issue violated you in the first place. Call your attorney ASAP. Good luck.

Jasen Nielsen

You cannot transfer a Violation to California, but you can transfer Probation. It sounds like in Florida you were put on informal probation aka summary probation (aka informal probation). If you need a Florida criminal defense attorney, give me a call I can refer you to a colleague there.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney
(310) 707-7131
www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply.

I would think that the attorney in Florida would be able to resolve the VOP (you may have make up whatever you failed to do that caused the VOP) and then the matter could be concluded. Most misdemeanor cases are resolved in the original jurisdiction at the conclusion of probation. Follow up with the attorney you hired. He/she should have explained the procedure and the possible issues. Good luck.

Contributions to AVVO.com do not establish an attorney-client relationship.

If you hired and paid a lawyer that's who you should be asking. If you are not happy with the service find another lawyer.

Brian Michaels
Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney
www.socalcrimdefense.com
3109919179