Skip to main content

Jurisdiction- is a judgment void on its face if the court has no jurisdiction on defendant based on location of court?

Bakersfield, CA |

Plaintiff is a vendor providing goods to defendant for resale. Plaintiff lives in Ventura County. Plaintiff's business is in Ventura County. Defendant lives in Kern County. Defendants business is in Kern County. Plaintiff sues defendant for payment not received on goods provided- limited civil in Ventura County Court. Does the court have jurisdiction in this matter?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


"Does the court have jurisdiction in this matter?" -- Yes. Jurisdiction is different from venue. In any event venue may be proper in both counties particularly in a commercial transaction.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


Disclaimer: The materials provided below are informational and should not be relied upon a legal advice.

I agree with my colleague. The Ventura County Superior Court likely can assert personal jurisdiction over your business located in Kern County. The venue may also be proper in Ventura County based on an argument that payments were due there. However, if you feel the venue is improper, you may timely bring motion for transfer of venue. Keep in mind that if you improperly seek transfer of venue, you may end up owing attorney's fees or costs to the Plaintiff. Take a look at California Code of Civil Procedure section 396b (see link below). Be sure to consult your own attorney to protect your legal rights.