Judicial activism?

Lansing, MI |

Why is this legal? I am reading about it for a class, and the more I read the more I question why it is ok for a judge to use judicial activism. I understand how it could be good, but if the decisions go against the Constitution, why is it allowed? I guess I'm more looking for opinions or your insights about it.

Ultimately, "Judicial Activism" is a buzzword, subjective, and like beauty, in the eye of the beholder. Judges are supposed to use restraint in interpreting or changing the law, and respecting established rulings and principles. However, often must make decisions in grey areas. "Judicial activism" is usually a charge hurled at judges when they "stretch" precedent to get to a policy result they prefer, particularly when they are aligned strongly with the political party that appointed them.

In the 60s and 70s, judges were accused of liberal "judicial activism" where they found the constitution required schools be desegregated, the death penalty unconstitutional, abortions could not be prohibited by the state or criminals be given the right to counsel, although this required an interpretation of the constitution which was not clearly spelled out.

Today, the pendulum has swung in the opposite direction. Corporations are determined to be "persons" with the right to "free speech" and unlimited spending in elections, although the constitution doesn't actually say that. Have you ever wondered why most Supreme Court decisions are decided by 5-4 votes? Is the majority always engaging in "judicial activism" where it is clear the court is very split on basic constitutional issues?

Probably, we'd see less "judicial activism" if our political system was less polarized and more moderate. But until that day comes, we can expect to see our courts behave like political institutions.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

Great answer, thank you so much Mr. Lebowitz!

Jack Richard Lebowitz

Jack Richard Lebowitz

You are welcome. Thanks for being interested in this very important issue and looking behind the buzzwords for the deeper truth.

Mr. Lebowitz gives a very eloquent answer and I wholly agree with him. I would add that when a judge has tenure and cannot be fired (except for impeachment, which is extremely difficult), s/he has leeway to rationalize decisions without consequence. Of course, when five justices of the U.S. Supreme Court decide a case that is considered an affront to the Constitution, such as the Citizens United case, how do you impeach all five? Oftentimes, no matter how absurd the outcome of a case, the fact that it is ratified by a majority of the judges (or justices, in the case of the Supreme Court) gives it legitimacy. This may be different at an appellate level, where only one judge may be deciding the case.

This answer is based on the limited information provided and is not to be relied on as legal advice. You should consult an attorney before taking any action that may affect your case or potential case. Furthermore, this response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between you and this attorney. Please contact this attorney directly to retain his services or for a free consultation.