Judgment against defendant

Tacoma, WA |

We have a judgement against some one. They have bought a house in another state. How did they do that? We have a judgement issued by a judge.

A judgment will not prevent anyone from buying anything. If the judgment is secured against real property then it might prevent the sale of real property. You have to record the judgment at the auditor's office of the county in which the real property is located to secure it. For other states - you may have different procedures there.

so I have to keep following this guy from state to state and county to county till he pays us the 450,000 he owes us

John Groseclose

John Groseclose

You are in over your head if they have assets. If they have no assets - you are screwed. Buying a home does not mean that they have assets. Programs exist that allow home to be purchased for no money down. If they do have assets - then hire an attorney or collection company to make a recovery. Yes it is expensive. It has the added benefit of being effective

who do you recommend? Thank You in advance.

John Groseclose

John Groseclose

Shop around. If you hire a collection agency - find a rate that is the cheapest - however, make sure to check the company reputation. Also may want to make sure they do business in the other state.

It's not illegal to purchase property just because there's a judgment. Some lenders will ignore them, some don't find them, or it could have been a private loan. If you want to put a lien on their property in the other state, you will need to go through that state's procedure for registering a foreign judgment and then following what other procedures are necessary to secure your judgment.

The answers to these questions may be different depending on your individual circumstance and should not be considered as legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

Your question has been answered so I'll only add that you need to execute your judgment in the foreign state to protect your rights as a creditor. You can does this yourself (pro se) but it does require attention to detail a little bit of paperwork.

Stephen M. Dunne, Esq.
Dunne Law Offices, P.C.

1500 John F. Kennedy Boulevard
Two Penn Center, Suite 200
Philadelphia, PA 19102

(215) 854 - 6342 office
(215) 205 - 6367 cell
(215) 525 - 9721 fax

Follow us on the web: http://thephiladelphiabankruptcyattorney.com/
Follow us on youtube: http://youtu.be/nX_muHpa5rc

2013 Bankruptcy Super Lawyer in Pennsylvania