Skip to main content

Judgement, Execution of Judgement

Gainesville, FL |

If a party has a default judgment against them from the State of NY in 2004, and the creditor failed to collect upon execution of the judgement, BUT the creditor moved to Florida in 2007, and no attempt has been made to collect on this execution up untill 2011.
Which states statute of limitations would apply?

@Mr Suhadaj Does this statute not apply?? N. Y. Civil Practice Law and Rules: Chapter Eight of the Consolidated Laws, Article 2 - Limitations of Time: 214. Actions to be commenced within three years: for non- payment of money collected on execution; for penalty created by statute; to recover chattel; for injury to property; for personal injury; for malpractice other than medical or dental malpractice; to annul a marriage on the ground of fraud.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


NY, which is 10 years.


Disclaimer of California Attorney
Although the above response is believed to be accurate, it should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice because the information provided is incomplete. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. No attorney client relation is formed with me without a written contract.

Good Luck starts with a strategy and a plan.

Robert J. Suhajda, MS,CPA
17721 Norwalk Blvd. #43
Artesia, CA 90701

Tax Relief Lawyer. Former financial auditor and controller. Admitted to US Tax Court, Income Tax, IRS representation, Fiduciary income tax returns, Estate and Gift tax returns, Homeowner Association Strategist.

As a strategist, I analyze and integrate the operations, reserve study, budget, and financial statements into a unitary plan for 1 – 5 years, utilizing my experience as
a former treasurer and vice president of a homeowners' association and corporate
controller and auditor, to minimize homeowner association dues.


NY statute of limitations apply. But statute of limitations are not based on the code you cited, because that is how long the creditor has to file suit. However, you have stated a default judgment was already entered. As such, the NY statute states a judgment is valid for 10 years. And then there is the issue of renewing. For example, in California, a judgment is good for 10 years, but can then be renewed for an additional 10 years over and over again, and as such, if the creditor takes the appropriate actions, a judgment in California is good forever. I hope this helps.


You need to contact a NY attorney to find out how long a NY judgment can be enforced. Also, you need to find out if the judgment has been filed in Florida where you now live. IF it has been filed in Florida, a new deadline will now exist. Either way, you need to seek the advice of an attorney. I am in your local area.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer