Judge assigned to my case why? and who is requesting it

Chicago, IL |

M My attorney filed appearance for divorce ( I am defendant). On the same date there is appoint specials deputy allowed and there is judge's name next to it. It states that my husbend is participant .What does this mean? Why there is a judge assigned to the case ? We do not have any kids.

Filed under: Divorce

Every case is assigned a Judge as soon as the case is filed. It sounds like you are referring to the Cook County Electronic Docket where you saw this information. "Appoint Special Deputy - allowed" means that the attorney had the Judge appoint a special process server (special deputy) to serve the Summons and Petition. It sounds like your attorney filed his Appearance the same day the other attorney appointed the process server. Now that your attorney filed an Appearance the special process server isn't needed. You should really take these questions up with the attorney who is representing you.

This response shall not be construed as specific legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship or privilege. Further, this response is not intended to solicit legal fees.

Is there a charge for a special deputy server filed by my husbend's attorney. and who pays for it ? Thank you for your help.

Brian Michael Radke

Brian Michael Radke

Again, these are questions for your attorney.

There is always a judge assigned to a case. It sounds like there was also an order allowing a special process server. You have an attorney and should be asking these questions of him or her. Your attorney is in a much better position to know the specific facts of your case.

You need to understand the Cook County Electronic Docket System. When a case is filed it is assigned to a Judge. Whether the case is contested or not there has to be a Judge assigned to the case. Apparantley your husband's attorney asked for and received a special process server to serve you. The system recognizes the code as Special Deputy appointed when entered by the Judge's clerk.
As to a Judge being assigned to the case who do you think will enter the Judgment of Dissolution? The Bailiff; No: the clerk;No: your attorney; No: the Judge assigned to hear the divorce;YES!!!!
Why don't you ask your attorney these questions?

Gary L. Schlesinger

Gary L. Schlesinger

hang up the phone when you answer. you get too worked up. take two deep breaths. calm down. then answer. do not respond with the first words that jump into your head. you are a good lawyer. but calm down or you will get a heart attack!

I am sorry you are having a bed day!

Gary L. Schlesinger

Gary L. Schlesinger

no, i am not having a bad day. that was said tongue in cheek to michael, not you.